How to Develop a Morning Mindset Routine to Increase Business Productivity
A morning mindset routine is a series of intentional practices that you do each morning to set the tone for your day and cultivate a positive and productive mindset. It's a way to start your day with purpose and intention, and can help you feel more focused, energized, and motivated throughout the day. In this article we will discuss how you can develop a consistent morning mindset routine that is authentic to you! We will also touch on the reasons why this practice comes highly recommended and the potential negative consequences that come from leaving it behind.
Let’s develop your routine. Where should you start?
This is easy…Start with what makes you happy!!
How amazing is it to think that you could start all of your days with things that make you happy?? That sounds like an absolute dream. In reality, you should start your days like this, especially when you’re running your own business!
Morning mindset routines are unique to the individuals who are practicing them. One person may look to meditation, and another might need to tidy up their space in order to feel ready to work. Whatever tasks are important to you that make you feel ready, organized, and limits distractions that could impact your work day.
- Wake up, wash your face, brush your teeth, and get dressed.
- Fill up your water jug (or cup).
- Tidy up the space where you intend to work.
- Journal what you are grateful for and set your intentions for the day.
- Prioritize your business tasks for the day.
- Pick up random items left throughout rooms in your house (if working from home, we will be dedicating an entire blog to decluttering your space for better business. Stay tuned.)
- Turn on your favorite motivating playlist and get to work.
- Wake up and dress for a workout (and obviously, brush your teeth 😀)
- Meditate for 20 minutes
- Exercise for 30-45 minutes (yoga, running, in-home workout, pilates, etc)
- Make and drink your morning green smoothie while listening to a personal development podcast.
- Set your intentions for the day.
- Get ready to start your work day
- Prioritize your business tasks for the day
- Get to work!
I can’t state this enough, there are ENDLESS combinations of components that make up morning mindset routines! Do what feels right for you.
What are the benefits of certain routine components?
Meditation or Mindfulness Practice: Starting the day with some form of meditation or mindfulness practice can help you clear your mind and set a positive tone for the day. Even just 5-10 minutes of quiet reflection can help you focus and approach your work with a more relaxed and open mindset.
Exercise or Physical Activity: Regular exercise can help boost your energy, improve your mood, and increase your productivity throughout the day. Consider starting your day with a quick workout, yoga session, or even a brisk walk outside to get your blood flowing and wake up your body.
Goal-Setting and Visualization: Take a few minutes each morning to set clear goals for the day ahead and visualize yourself achieving them. This can help you stay focused and motivated throughout the day, and ensure that you're making progress toward your larger business goals.
Gratitude Practice: Practicing gratitude can help cultivate a positive mindset and shift your focus toward the things that are going well in your life and business. Consider writing down a few things you're grateful for each morning, or simply taking a moment to reflect on what you appreciate about your life and work.
Reading or Learning: Spending some time each morning reading or learning something new can help you expand your knowledge and stay engaged with your work. Consider reading a business book or article, watching a TED talk, or taking an online course to help you grow your skills and stay up-to-date in your industry.
Planning and Organizing: Use your morning routine to plan and organize your day ahead, prioritize your tasks, and create a clear plan of action. This can help you feel more in control and reduce the likelihood of feeling overwhelmed or stressed later in the day.
Networking and Connecting: Use your morning routine to connect with other business owners or professionals in your industry, either online or in-person. This can help you build relationships, share knowledge and insights, and stay engaged with your community.
Once again, everyone's morning routine will be different based on their personal preferences and priorities. Experiment with different routine and determine which one is right for you
What if I don’t want to adopt a morning routine? Are there drawbacks from deciding to skip this step?
Okay, I hear you. Why is it so important to put my stuff away, listen to a podcast, and organize my day before doing anything else? I understand this, 100%. You probably feel that your approach now is working very well for you, so why disrupt that, right?
The best way to explain this is…Until you try it, you don’t know what you’re missing. Most of the coaches we work with implement a morning routine and can confidently say “I don’t know how I ever did without this”. We have yet to have anyone say that the morning mindset routine had a negative impact on their business. So, now I ask you, will you trust us on this one? Take a look at the potential negatives associated with not adopting a morning mindset routine:
Not adopting a mindset morning routine can have several potential drawbacks, including:
- Starting the day feeling scattered and unprepared: Without a structured morning routine, it can be easy to start the day feeling unfocused and unprepared for the tasks ahead. This can lead to feelings of stress and overwhelm, and make it harder to stay productive and focused throughout the day.
- Missed opportunities for self-care: A mindset morning routine can include practices like exercise, meditation, or journaling, which can help improve your physical and mental well-being. Without these practices, you may miss out on important opportunities for self-care and stress relief.
- Difficulty setting priorities: Without a clear plan for the day ahead, it can be harder to set priorities and focus on the tasks that are most important for your business. This can lead to a lack of productivity and progress toward your goals.
- Missing out on opportunities for growth: A mindset morning routine can include learning or networking activities that can help you grow your skills and expand your network. Without these activities, you may miss out on valuable opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Increased stress and burnout: Starting the day feeling overwhelmed or unprepared can lead to increased stress and burnout over time. A structured morning routine can help you manage stress and stay focused, which can help prevent burnout and support your long-term well-being.
What are the most impactful mindset exercises that directly impact business productivity?
- Gratitude practice: Cultivating gratitude can help shift your focus to the positive aspects of your work and life, which can increase your motivation and productivity. Each morning, take a few minutes to write down or think about three things you're grateful for.
- Goal-setting and visualization: Setting clear goals and visualizing yourself achieving them can help you stay motivated and focused throughout the day. Spend a few minutes each morning setting one or two specific goals for the day ahead and visualizing yourself completing them successfully.
- Positive self-talk: Your inner dialogue can have a significant impact on your productivity and motivation. Practice positive self-talk by using affirmations, such as "I am capable and confident in my abilities," or "I am making progress towards my goals every day."
- Mindfulness meditation: Practicing mindfulness meditation can help you stay present and focused throughout the day, which can increase your productivity and reduce stress. Try taking a few minutes each morning to sit quietly and focus on your breath or body sensations.
- Time-blocking: Time-blocking involves scheduling your day into specific blocks of time for different tasks. This can help you stay focused and avoid distractions, which can increase your productivity and efficiency. This method is used by our very own Taylor Stull, Founder and CEO of Flowell
- Positive visualization: Visualization involves imagining yourself completing a task or project successfully. This can help increase your confidence and motivation, which can directly impact your productivity.
NOT SOLD?? Let’s check out some studies!
According to a study published in the Journal of Business Venturing, entrepreneurs who engaged in mindfulness practices had higher levels of success in their businesses than those who did not. The study found that mindfulness practices were associated with improved decision-making, creativity, and strategic thinking.
A survey by The Alternative Board found that business owners who set goals and hold themselves accountable are more likely to achieve success. A mindset routine can help with both of these aspects, as setting goals and tracking progress can be included in a daily routine.
A study published in the Journal of Applied Psychology found that employees who practiced mindfulness meditation had increased job satisfaction and reduced emotional exhaustion. These outcomes can lead to increased productivity and success in the workplace.
Struggling with inconsistency? We’ve got you! Follow these tips for staying on track
Start small: If you're finding it challenging to stick to a full routine, start with just one or two small habits that you can commit to each day. Once these habits become more ingrained, you can gradually add more practices to your routine.
Make it a priority: Set aside a specific time each day for your mindset routine, and treat it as a non-negotiable appointment with yourself. This can help you stay committed and avoid scheduling conflicts or distractions.
Find accountability: Enlist a friend, family member, or Flowell’s mentor community to hold you accountable for sticking to your routine. Sharing your goals and progress with someone else can help you stay motivated and focused.
Keep it interesting: Spice it up, baby! By trying new practices or incorporating different variations of your existing habits you can have some serious fun with this. This can help prevent boredom and keep you engaged in your routine.
Be kind to yourself: Remember that it's normal to have days where you slip up or miss a practice. Instead of beating yourself up, acknowledge the setback and recommit to your routine the next day.
Track your progress: Keeping a journal or record of your mindset routine can help you see how far you've come and stay motivated to continue. Celebrate your wins, and use any setbacks as an opportunity for learning and growth.
Want to learn more about business growth mindset and how to master it??
Check out our article dedicated to the business growth mindset and how to build it! We are also going LIVE ON INSTAGRAM ON 4/20/23 @ 12:30PM EST WITH MINDSET EXPERT, Jane Wareham!! You are NOT going to want to miss this!!